The Department of Chemistry, in coordination with the Deanship of the Faculty of Science, works to apply all methods that in turn work on developing the faculty quantitatively and qualitatively aim at developing the academic and research curricula in addition to increasing student capacity, on one hand, and on the other hand, organization and participation in workshops and conferences and seminars and symposiums at the local, regional and international levels, which are considered indicators that work to develop the academic and administrative work in the faculty.
• Preparing academic programs in the field of chemistry that meet the requirements of society.
• Preparing cadres in the fields of education laboratories, health and environment, and various industrial fields for standardization of chemical and biological materials.
During this period, the department and the faculty members presented achievements that the university is proud of, and in a simple brief we summarize to our followers these achievements, which you can view in detail through the university’s website, the Faculty of Science website, Department of Chemistry:
• Graduating qualified chemists for the purpose of working in all laboratories of the branches of organic, inorganic, analytical, biological, physical and industrial chemistry with high competencies through the department’s advanced programs together with using modern technologies.
• Supporting postgraduate students and faculty members to conduct research and studies, especially applied ones, as well as developing the academic process.
• Providing the academic and scientific frameworks necessary to cover the community’s need for work force.
• Training and retraining of cadres and workers in the field of chemical laboratories and methods of quantitative and qualitative analysis.
• Strengthening the relations with bodies and research, scientific and technological centers inside and outside the Republic of Iraq.
About the department:
When the Faculty of Science was established for the academic year 1993-1994, the march of science and scientific research was embarked upon as one of the sources of science at the University of Kufa in the various specific specializations of chemistry such as (organic, inorganic, physical, analytical and industrial chemistry, as well as life and modern green chemistry and nanotechnology).
The first cycle of students graduated in the academic year (1996-1997 AD) and the number of cycles graduated from the department reached (24) until the academic year 2020-2021 AD. The department includes about 696 students for undergraduate studies, 67 students for postgraduate studies. In the Department of Chemistry there are several laboratories, including:
• Industrial Chemistry
• Instrument analysis
• Analytical chemistry
• Organic chemistry
• Inorganic chemistry
• Physical chemistry
• Organic Diagnostic Chemistry
• Computer Lab
Head of the Department: Asst. prof. Dr. Mohammed Z. Ghdhayeb
Department Coordinator (morning): Lect. Dr. Basim Mohammed Ali Radhi Al Abbasy
Department Coordinator (evening): Lect.Dr.Muntadhar Mahammed Ali Hatam Kadhem Aljalal